The safety of our players, coaches, team officials and referees is paramount to the SMHA.
Here's to a safe and fun hockey season!
- Helmets must be properly worn by all coaches and team officials on the ice during team practices for SMHA teams and all interlock teams that participate in SMHA leagues from Clavet, Martensville, Delisle and Warman.
- Mouth guards are recommended for all players from U9 to U18 in SMHA.
- Goaltenders do not require a mouth guard.
- Neck guards are mandatory equipment for minor hockey per Hockey Canada. Neck guards must be worn in all practices and in all games. Goaltenders must wear the soft wrap around neck guard. The hanging acrylic puck deflector is optional but recommended.
- Major penalties for Head Contact and Checking from Behind carry an automatic minimum two (2) game suspension for the first infraction - three (3) games if the infraction occurs in the final 10 minutes of a game.
- Major penalties in hockey played under No Body Checking rules are subject to review and may carry a stricter enforcement and suspension length than those in checking hockey, depending on the circumstances of the infraction.
- Fighting major penalties carry a minimum two (2) game suspension plus a game misconduct.
- All Major penalties carry a minimum one-game suspension plus a game misconduct.
OFFICIAL SAFETY SPONSOR OF THE SMHA: