FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What days are the games played?
- Games are mostly played on Saturdays throughout most of the day
What times are the games played?
- The Learn to Play program plays Saturday Mornings around 9:00am and the other divisions follow in order of age.
Where are the games played?
- Games are played at local Stratford Arenas please see the Arenas page for Maps.
How many games per week?
- The players will mostly only play one game per week.
How many games in total for the season?
- In total, the youth program offers 10 games including playoffs.
Do the kids have practices?
- The main program does not have practices, however, players selected for the Provincial Representative teams will have practices as scheduled by their coaches.
Do you have programs for girls and boys?
- The SMBHL is a co-ed league where boys and girls play together.
When does the season start and end?
- The season starts in April and continues until late June. In July the Provincial Representative Team will compete in the OBHF Provincial Championship Tournament against other cities across the province. The tournament usually takes place in early to mid-July.
What equipment is required?
What are the Ball Hockey Rules?
What are the age groups?
- The age groups are as follows (year of birth):
- Learn to Play: 2018-2019-2020
- Under 8: 2016-2017
- Under 10: 2014-2015
- Under 12: 2012-2013
- Under 14: 2010-2011
- Under 16: 2008-2009
- Under 18: 2006-2007
What is the cost to register?
- The cost for the programs are as follows: $229***
- Learn to Play is $169
*** The rates are reduced by $10 for Early Bird (Before Feb 1, 2024)
*** There is a family discount of $10 off per child
How do I register?
- Registrations can be made online here
What do I get with my registration fee?
- All registered players will receive a player package consisting of team Jersey, shorts and socks. Players will have league games officiated by CBHA certified referees, an OBHF membership with insurance coverage. All stats officially recorded on the league website and an opportunity to play Provincially for Stratford Phantoms program and even Nationally through CBHA sanctioned events.
Can I sponsor?
- Yes absolutely! Please visit the Sponsor Page for more information and best of all you get a FREE registration just by registering to be a sponsor! Register Here
How do I become a Head Coach or Assistant Coach?
*** All Coaches must have a proper Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) completed with documentation.
Are there different divisions for different skill levels?
- The League is mainly considered house league program, however, any players that want to play more competitively can try out for the Provincial Representative Team for more information please email us.
What and when are the OBHF Provincial Championships?
- The Ontario Ball Hockey Federation Provincial Championships are Tournaments held in July. All participating leagues from Ontario send teams in hope of winning a Provincial title. The location of the tournaments vary by year and are held in early/mid-July.
How can I play for the Provincial Tournament Team?
- The opportunity is open to all the members. The Coaching staff selected by the SMBHL will scout players during the course of the season. If there are too many players in an age group interested in playing then the league/coaches will select the players that will best represent the program.