This is a follow up to our previous message, calling for new volunteers. Unfortunately there has not been much response to our last call to action.
Current board members are retiring after being involved with Nanaimo youth softball for as many as 15 years. It hasn't been easy to recruit new board members over the past few years, and without the support of multiple new persons to take on roles within NMSA to support the few new board members, the 2024 season will be cancelled.
There are tasks with deadlines that need to take place immediately to prepare for next season, such as booking fields with the city. Multiple new committed volunteers are required as soon as possible to ensure there is enough persons to support operating the 2024 season.
If you are interested in youth softball in Nanaimo, the following roles are needed immediately to be appointed and/or stand for nomination to the board to support, plan, administer, and operate the club for 2024 and beyond.
Current board members will support a smooth transition of knowledge and tasks into 2024. Most of these roles will become vacant or have been vacant for many years. At least a quorum of 5 board members are required by policy for association meetings to function, but of course, many hands make light work! It is very difficult to operate with only 5 or 6 board members.
* Fields & Scheduling Director
* Equipment & Uniforms Director
* House Director
* Competitive Director
* Umpire in Chief
* Tournament Director
* Volunteer Director
The following are some of the tasks required to operate the association each season:
* Pre-season - Field and Facility bookings (City, RDN, and School Districts as applicable)
* Pre-season - House coach recruitment, pre-season training, registration, season configuration, coach and player registration, team configuration, and team building.
* Pre-season - Season league practice/game scheduling for NMSA and Inter-League liaison & season game schedules with Ladysmith, Nanaimo, Oceanside, Port Alberni
* Pre-season - equipment & uniform inventory/ordering and team kit prep
* In-season - Softball BC registration - converting TeamLinkt team registration data to Softball BC file format for upload into the Softball BC system
* In-season - Ice Breaker & Year End tournament planning and coordination with other Associations, field bookings and game scheduling. Tournament day activities and field prep
* In-season - Scheduling and organizing Photo days with Freezeframe Photography
* In-season - Game day coordination of field prep/bases install
* Administration - Email, Social Media, and Website posts, Google Workspace administration and management for our nanaimosoftball.ca domain, domain and DNS management for our nanaimosoftball.ca domain (webnames.ca)
* Administration - Stripe account management for our credit card payment processing/integration with TeamLinkt and our credit union bank account.
* Post Season - Scheduling fields/facilities for Rep coaches tryout dates and winter training
* Administration - Providing membership data as requested to Softball BC, City of Nanaimo, and the RDN
Other tasks also include applying for grants, gaming licenses, completing gaming license reports, budgets, financial reports, and completing necessary paperwork, managing uniforms and equipment ordering, inventory checking, and general fields maintenance, all of which are necessary to being successful.
Act now to ensure the continuation of the Naniamo youth softball program!
If you can commit to the organization, there are two options: first, you may be appointed immediately with Board approval, or second, you may be elected to the Board at an upcoming Annual General Meeting - but don't wait for the AGM to identify your ability to help; pre-season commitment and preparation needs you now!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or call Brian Cornborough at 250-755-5770