The Back Porch Sand Volleyball
2024 Season League Rules
|April 22nd - June 17th
|June 24th - August 5th
|August 19th - October 7th
|April 23rd - June 11th
|June 25th - August 6th
|August 20th - October 1st
|April 24th - June 12th
|June 26th - August 14th
|August 21st - October 2nd
|April 25th - June 13th
|June 27th - August 15th
|August 22nd - October 3rd
The week between sessions is reserved for make-up games due to weather cancellations and holidays.
- Games originally scheduled on May 27th/Memorial Day will be played on June 17th instead.
- Games originally scheduled on July 3rd will be played on July 14th instead.
- Games originally scheduled on July 4th will be played on July 15th instead.
- Games originally scheduled on September 4th/Labor Day will be played on October 7th instead.
These dates (not individual team games) have been posted to a shared Google calendar. You can add it to your own Google Calendar by clicking here or you can view it online here.
The Golden Rule
If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong.
Above all else, our goal is to create and maintain a fun, friendly environment for every team, every player, every official, every game. PERIOD. Simply put, please be a supportive, encouraging and decent human before, during and after games.
Anyone who does not follow this rule and the rules detailed below will not play at The Back Porch. If you are asked to leave due to your behavior, you will not be refunded and you will not be allowed to register for future sessions.
Rules of The Hut
- There is absolutely NO GLASS allowed inside the fence surrounding the volleyball courts. Cups are always available if you need to switch containers.
- DO NOT bring in any outside food or beverages. Water is always available during game time. An assortment of bottled water, Gatorade, beer and seltzers are available for purchase at The Hut on game nights.
- DO NOT take any alcoholic beverages outside of the fence and into the parking lot. All alcohol must remain in the enclosed areas of the bar.
- DO NOT bring pets to The Back Porch. DO NOT leave pets in your car during game time... or ever.
- Your spouses, side chicks, fans, family, and friends are certainly welcome, but guests must remain on the deck. They can not sit or stand around the perimeter of the courts or between them.
Rules of the Court
- All teams are co-ed. Teams must have at least 4 players but not more than 6 players on the court. Teams with less than 4 players will forfeit the game.
- You must always have at least 2 females on the court. You can never have more than 3 males on the court.
- Games begin promptly at game time. Teams that are not present or on their designated court 5 minutes after the start of game time will forfeit the game.
- Out of courtesy for other players, our referees and myself, there are no exceptions to this rule. You registered for a specific game time. You will play at that specific game time.
- Each team has a maximum of three touches to return the ball to the other side of the net. A touch block does not count toward these 3 touches.
- Teams will play 3 games/sets each week. Each game/set will be played to 21 points with rally scoring, so a point is scored every serve. All 3 games/sets will be played. The winner is the best of these 3 games/sets.
- Games 1 & 2 = Win by 2, Cap at 23
- Game 3 = First to 21
- Each team has 2 time outs available per match (match = all three games/sets). Each time out will last 1 minute then the official will blow the whistle to begin play.
- Between games/sets, teams will receive a 3 to 4 minute break to get water and take a breather.
- In super hot weather, we will extend this time as much as possible without delaying the upcoming matches.
Order on the Court
- Each court is marked clearly by the lines. If any part of the ball contacts the line, that ball is considered in. Officials, official stands and poles are considered dead balls and cannot be pursued. Balls can cross the net anywhere between the poles, but not over the poles or touch the poles themselves.
- During games, please shake the lines to remove the sand that covers them completely. You can do this without delaying the game while retrieving a ball or before a serve. This will help make in/out calls more accurate for yourselves and the officials.
- The referees will be instructed to call the following violations:
- Balls that Land Out of Bounds
- Very Obvious Lifts/Carries/Really Bad Sets
- Double Hits
- Blocking or Attacking a Serve (Feet Leave the Ground)
- Any Contact with the Net During a Play
- Breaking the Plane of the Net (Above or Below)
- If you can’t realistically get to a ball, do not throw yourself into or under the net. It will cause injury to you and/or someone else.
- Full Hand Grabs & Dumps
- All calls made by the officials are final and not to be argued. Most of the calls are judgment calls and may vary from one official to another.
- Insulting, swearing at and berating officials will not be tolerated. They are humans. They are young humans. You are adults.
- If you have issues with an official, please let me know AFTER your match is over. If you have recurring, consistent issues with a particular referee, let me know and I will address it with the official directly.
- If I can hear an argument from The Hut, you will not be able to play for the rest of the evening. A repeat incident/argument and you will be removed from the league. No refunds will be given and you will not be able to play in future sessions.
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner
TeamLinkt will automatically update current league standings once scores have been entered each week. The winner of the league will be determined a little differently than in previous years, so let’s review:
- A team will be rewarded with 1 point for every game/set win, 0 points for every game/set loss. Each team can earn up to 3 points per week.
- Don’t blow the third game even if you’ve won the first two and don’t give up on the third game even if you’ve lost the first two. That third game will matter in the end!
- In the event of a tie in total wins, the winner will be determined by total points earned during the session.
- In the event of a tie in total SESSION wins and total SESSION points, we will determine the winner by the total MATCH points won during the LAST MATCH between the two tied teams.
- If your team wins the first or second session, you will have the choice of a $100 gift card to The Back Porch or a free t-shirt for each player.
- If your team wins the third session, you will receive a $100 gift card to The Back Porch. They will be awarded on your the last game day of the third session.
When It Rains… It Rains
- We will only cancel games if there is active thunder and lightning.
- If we decide to cancel your game time or all game times, it will be a game-time decision.
- I will do everything I can to communicate with teams in advance which includes messaging through TeamLinkt, text, and posting on Facebook and Instagram. If the weather looks sketchy that day, please be extra attentive to these platforms. Links are provided at the end of this document.
- If one game time is canceled, that does not mean ALL game times are canceled.
Did We Just Become Best Friends?!
As the bridge between the courts and The Back Porch, I will be the best advocate I can for each of you. If you have any questions, concerns, rants, pictures of your dog, etc. I'm here for it. Do you know who isn’t here for you though? The hard-working Back Porch staff. Do not call the restaurant/bar with questions about volleyball.
I am more responsive via text than calls because it’s 2024 and I don’t answer numbers I don’t know. If you do need to call, leave a voicemail and I’ll read it and text you back anyways.
Here are the links you will all need throughout the season. I added an Instagram page for those that prefer that over Facebook. The same posts will be added to both platforms simultaneously, so you will not miss anything if you only want to follow one. Your team’s schedule and current standings 24/7 will be available on our new website!